Guj: સુરેન્દ્રનગર surēndranagara
‘Surendra’s City’ [Wadhwan] -Town/District, Gujarat
From Surendrasinhji and Skt: nagar, ‘city’.
Wadhwan was founded in 1630. It became a Princely state under the British in 1807. Surendrasinhji Jorawarsinhji, its last king, signed its act of accession to India in 1948. Surendranagar is both a town and a district – neighbouring Wahwan is a twin city.
This region has traditionally been a ‘hill station’ known for the therapeutic qualities of its dry air.
The Wild Ass (Khur) Sanctuary in Surendranagar District covers nearly 5,000 sq. km of desert in the Little Rann of Kutch. There are 2500 khur living here on the raised bets, as wells as antelopes, gazelles and hundreds of varieties of birds including flamingoes.