Hin: शाहपुरा shāhapurā
‘Shah Jahan’s City’ -Town, Rajasthan
From Shah Jahan and and Skt: pura, ‘fort’, ‘city’.
The Phulia Estate was given to Sujan Singh in 1629 in recognition of his services to the Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan. He immediately renamed it after his patron.
Shahpura is a place of pilgrimage for the followers of Ram Charan, the 18thC Rajasthani guru and founder of the Ramsnehi Sampradaya. The Ramdwara shrine in the town is the central place of pilgrimage for his followers especially for the post-Holi Phooldol Mela.