Tam: புதுக்கோட்டை putukkōṭṭai

‘New Fort’  City/District, Tamil Nadu

From Tam: putu, ‘new’; and Tam: kōṭṭai, ‘fort’, ‘fortified town’.

Pudukottai was a kingdom founded in the late 17thC by the Raja of Ramnad, Raghunatha Setupati,

The nearby Thirumayam Fort is a 16 hectare fortress (the size of about 16 cricket pitches). It was constructed by the Raja in 1687.

Pudukottai became a princely state of British India under the political authority of Madras Presidency.

This is a dry area and relies on a system of 5,451 irrigation tanks, the Grand Anaikat Channel and and 47,583 wells to keep the district farmed and watered.

For related place names see Indian Place names and Tamil Nadu place names.

 

East Raja Street (Pudukottai)

East Raja Street (Pudukottai)       Thiyagu Ganesh