Asm: যোৰহাট jōrhāṭ
‘Twin Markets’ City/District, Assam
From Asm: jor, ‘pair’; and Ben: hāṭa, ‘market’ [Skt: haṭṭa].
The ‘pair’ of markets existed in the 18thC on opposite banks of the Bhogdoi river, a tributary of the Brahmaputra, which flows past the town.
Jorhat was the last Ahom capital from 1794, destroyed by a series of Burmese invasions between 1817 and the arrival of the British in 1824.
The modern city is one of the largest in Assam.