Asm: হাত্তিগড় hāttigaṛa

‘Elephant Fort’ [Gajpur] Village,  Assam

From Asm/Hin: hāthī, ‘elephant’; and gaṛh, ‘fort’.

Hatigarh literally means a fort or a rampart (garh) for confining elephants (hati).

The  Ahom king, Suklingphaa (1795–1811 CE), used this site (close to the growing city of Jorhat).

It’s not much of a fort now, more a village.

For related place names see Indian Place names and Assam place names.

 

Hatigarh             India Water Portal