Hin: बांधवगढ़ bāndhavagaṛh

‘Brother Fort’   Fort, National Park  Madhya Pradesh (MP)

From: Hin: bāndhava, ‘brother’, ‘kinsman’; and gaṛh, ‘fort’

Sitting on a hill 800m above the National Park is Bandhavagarh Fort. Its builders remain unknown but where historical evidence is lacking there is always a myth:

Lord Rama stopped here on his way back to Ayodhya after slaying Ravana in Lanka. He ordered his two monkey architects, Nala and Neela, to build a fort here high up so that he could keep an eye on what was happening in Lanka. When the fort was completed he gave it to his brother Laksmana as a present.

The fort is certainly old: Cunningham (1871) mentions Ptolemy referring to it as Balanti-or Baiam- purgaon which dates it back to the 2ndC at least. It has gone through a succession of owners and refits since.

Bhandavgarh National Park covers an area of more than 100 sq km and has 22 tigers (one of every 5 sq. km).

It also has 37 other species of mammals, a cool 250 species of birds, and around 80 species of butterflies.

For related place names see Indian Place names and Madhya Pradesh place names.

 

Bandhavgarh jeep safari with tigers

Bandhavgarh jeep safari with tigers             Monsoon Forest