Ben: বহরমপুর baharamapura

 ‘Brahmin City’ [Berhampore, Berhampur, Brahmapur, Burhanpore]  City, West Bengal 

From Brahmin; and Skt: pura, ‘fort’, ‘city’

Baharampur/Berhampore is the capital of Murshidabad district.

Following the 1757 Battle of Plassey, it was fortified by the East India Company and became the the military HQ for the British in Bengal and had an active military cantonment until 1870.

It was known as Brahmapur because of the Brahmin families settled here.

Baharampur has a tradition of silk weaving and Cossimbazar (Kasimbazar), now a suburb of Baharampur, was an important  18thC silk town.

For related place names see Indian Place names and West Bengal place names.

 

Aerial View of Berhampore

Aerial View of Berhampore          Dghosh.cse