Kon: अग्वाद agvād
‘Water Fort’ Castle, Goa.
From Por: aguada, ‘(acquisition of a) water supply’
Fort Aguada is a 17thC Portuguese 200-cannon fort built on a rocky promontory at the end of Sinquerim Beach. It was originally built to defend old Goa from Maratha and Dutch conversions.
There were freshwater springs inside the fort which supplied water to passing ships (either newly arrived from Portugal and heading southwards, or heading off to more distant ports). They had a total storage capacity of over ten million litres of water. The fort was complemented by a Lighthouse in 1864.